Sunday, April 23, 2006

Piazza, New York Catcher

I'm listening the first Mets game with Mike Piazza playing for the other team, and I think I've just learned what non-Mets fans learned years ago. The guy cannot throw at all. The Mets have stolen three bases off of him and none of the stealers are considerred to be "fast" players.

I first started following baseball in '97, a year before the Mets got Piazza. That was when he was in his prime. He had a few almost MVP years and helped the Mets get to the pennant series in 99 and the world series in 00, plus he was a catcher so for a while it was easy for him to be your favorite player. Never came through though and 5 sub-par seasons later, he's now failing to through out runners at second with a different team.

It's weird, I'm listening to the New York WFAN broadcast and the announcers are talking about Piazza like he's an AIDS patient or something. One of them said something along the likes of they're glad he found a team where he could play out the remaining years....of his career. If I was thirty-seven and people started talking about me that way, it would be an instant mid-life crisis.

But I'm not gonna waste time feeling sorry for Piazza. With the millions he's made over the years, he can retire whenever he feels like it and spend the rest of his life dating Playmates and telling people how not-gay he is.

That's all I got for now. I promise not to make too many Mets-centric posts. Everyone else here seems to be a Phillies or Red Sox fan so it's not cool to be from New York.

No comments: