Monday, October 23, 2006

For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice...

So I don't really want to get in to the Kenny Rogers bit, other than to say that there is no clump of dirt on earth that looks like what was on his hand. The old dude's amber topped cane in Jurassic Park? Maybe. The bucket of Pine Tar in which Trot Nixon dips his helmet? Perhaps. But not the pure, refined soil of the ballpark. Thanks to Todd Jones, we have this little witticism:

"It could have been anything on his hand... It could have been chocolate cake."
But wait Todd, cake wasn't served on Sunday in the Tigers clubhouse.
"Well, no. But there was steak and gravy. So the gravy could have been on there."

Thanks Todd. Thanks. Love that guy.

Now, I'd like to point to this poll on ESPN, in which almost 60% said that they don't think they underestimated the Cardinals. Memo to those people: You're effing liars. EVERYONE underestimated the cardinals, including the writers in this blog and, I should note, all 19 baseball experts who weighed in pre-postseason (what?) on ESPN. Not one of them picked the Tigers OR the Cardinals to go to the series. And yet here they are.

And that leads me to my ultimate point. This postseason is really what baseball's October should be: competitive. The two 'best' teams in baseball made their exits, and now the two dirt dogs left are trying to stake their claim atop the baseball world. I guess it should come as no surprise that two of the teams that were atop the standings all season, and were considered serious contenders to win it all at the beginning of September, are here in the end. They both went on skids to finish the regular season, but the playoffs reset everyone at 0-0.

I'm also sick of all the Kenny Rogers / Kenny Rogers references, jokes, etc. I'm also a big fan of hypocrisy.

I want to see Joel Zumaya break the Hefty (of Glad, whichever) bag in the commercial. You know, the one with Eric Gagne? The one with the injured Gagne? I bet Zumaya could do it. Also, he's going high in my fantasy draft next year.

What do you think the odds are that they deal him to a team looking for a closer this off-season, as the market is pretty thin. I know I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Red Sox uniform...

No comments: